Friday 12 May 2017

Carry On Admiral - Feldherr Maxi Case for Dropfleet Comander

My football team Hartlepool United got relegated last week. This was something of a disaster, but there was one little ray of sunshine. As we were playing the team challenging for the championship, and as we hadn't won in about eight games, the bookies were offering good odds, so more in hope than judgement  had a little flutter. We won, but still got relegated, but I was suddenly fifty quid better off. Rather than drown my sorrows I decided to put the ££ to good use and get a Feldherr case for my Dropfleet Commander Scourge.

I'm a confirmed Kaiser Rushforth case user - I have maybe twenty in a mix of card and aluminium, and on the whole I'm happy with them, but they don't do anything suitable for Dropfleet. I've struggled on with some pick and pluck trays but they were a bit naff. There's no real chance of KR ever making any more cases for Hawk products as they seem to have suffered an "irretrievable breakdown of business relationship" or something like that. That being the case I thought I would give Feldherr a try as they have just released a DFC range. Details are here https://www.feldherr.net/

I ordered direct on Sunday evening, and went for the standard "Maxi" Scourge set, and it arrived this morning so I thought I would share my first impressions.

Here it is - hiding behind my assistant Bella with a standard KR Card case next to it


and without

The internals consist of one tray to carry Battleships, plus four Cruiser \ Frigate inserts each holding three Cruisers and up to six Frigates, and two trays for launch assets. (see edit below) At the moment there is no tray to carry Corvettes, but by happy coincidence I noticed the UCM Frigate tray looked like it would hold those bat winged Nickars - so I took a risk and ordered one, and happily it works rather well.




So back to the actual product. The foam feels comparable to KR. The slots are cut very clean and hold the Scourge ships well enough - even some of my cruisers which were built with the wings spread wide fit with a bit of a squeeze as you can see above. The outer fabric bag is very nice, with a lined interior, carrying handle and optional strap. All rather German in efficiency.

So my initial thoughts. Very nice. What it appears to lack and causes me some concern is robustness. My KRs, both card and aluminium get a lot of regular abuse but the contents are safe. I can't be sure that will be the case here. On the other hand it is VERY light and easy to carry, which can be important.

How about cost? Difficult to compare with KR but the Feldherr Maxi plus the spare UCM tray cost £56 including postage (actually postage was free as the order was over 60 Euro) which is more than a KR card (£37) but less than a KR aluminium of similar capacity (£60) .

I'm happy so far, and will probably get the equivalent one to carry my UCM, but will probably have to find another source of funding as I don't think Hartlepool United are getting promoted soon.

******Edit There are five NOT four cruiser inserts, so the total capacity is 2 Battleships, 15 Cruisers or Battlecruisers, 30 Frigates and 60 Launch Assets. Swapping out one Launch Asset tray gives you 30 Launch Assets and 11 Nickar Frigates***********

No comments:

Post a Comment